Thursday, March 27, 2008

Color Interactions


Our eyes are funny things. We can only take in a certain amount of information when we look at something. Above is an example of tricking our eyes in a color interaction study by Josef Albers. The smallest squares are the same color exactly, but when they are put against different backgrounds they appear to be different. Throughout the entire color exploration section in this semester I found that I made my eyes realize what was there instead of just assuming what I thought was there. For example I had t train my eyes to see a pure gray when we were mixing grays. A slight tint that was too warm or too cool was what I aimed to differentiate. Before that in the activity where we had to find steps between tints and shades was a test on my eyes to see contrast instead of what I thought it should be in my mind.

In the color interaction activities all that I have learned about color is reversed. I have learned how to train my eyes to see color steps and variations of color and know what the content was of those specific colors. In this activity, I had to trick myself and use color interactions to disprove that my eyes were really trained.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.